I was injured at work, can I sue my employer?

By Ben Gobel on January 1, 2020

Shaking Hands

In Pennsylvania, you typically cannot sue your employer for your work-related injuries, even if your employer’s negligence caused your injuries.  You may be entitled to “workers’ compensation benefits,” however, under the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act.

The Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act was enacted in 1915 and was designed to protect both employees and employers.  Under the Workers’ Compensation Act, injured employees receive medical treatment, which is paid for by their employer, and they are compensated for lost wages associated with their work-related injury or disease.  Employers are responsible for paying for the workers’ compensation coverage that protects employees. In exchange for paying for the coverage, employers are protected from direct lawsuits by employees.

While it is typically easier to obtain compensation under the Workers’ Compensation Act than it is in a civil negligence lawsuit, the Act does not compensate an injured worker for things like pain, suffering, and the inconvenience of an injury.  Depending on the situation and the extent of the injury, this can often make the system feel unfair to an injured worker.

To complicate matters, there are a number of exceptions to this rule where an injured worker may still be able to sue their employer.  Clearly, every workers’ compensation case contains complicated factual, legal, and medical issues. Because of this, it is important that you discuss your case with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible.

If you or a loved one was injured at work, or if you would like to discuss the issue further, call one of our experienced workers’ compensation lawyers at Ogg, Murphy & Perkosky anytime at (412) 471-8500, or send us a message through this page.  The attorneys at Ogg, Murphy & Perkosky have helped countless workers get the compensation they deserve after a work injury. Call us now. We are almost always available and there is never a fee unless we make a financial recovery for you.